Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Berlin Airlift (Newsreel)



Described in the newsreel as "the most outstanding transport achievement in the history of aviation," the Berlin Airlift was critical to keeping West Berlin "alive." Until I watched this, I was unaware of the use of "flying boats" as part of the operation. If you watch carefully, you will see a young boy eating some of the chocolate that one of the pilots tosses from his cockpit window. Overall, I found this informative, even though it is far from being of documentary quality. Does anything stand out to you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that what stood out most for me was that they could lift by air more supplies than by land vehicle.
MZ3

Anonymous said...

I thought it was interesting how the germans had the first planes that could land on water as part of their operation. People must of been shocked on how cool this was





T.C. 2. P. 1

Anonymous said...

I would have never guessed that they used flying boats in this operation, or that they sent cars to the Germans. I was surprised at the rate that basic necessities were being flown into Berlin, because I didn't think that we were flying in food that fast. I'm very impressed that after we fought hard against this country, we were actually flying basic necessities into them at a very fast rate.
-AB3

Anonymous said...

The Berlin Airlift is one of the most amazing thing I have ever learned about. They said that every 90 seconds a plane was taking off or langing. That just completly blows my mind. The only thing I wonder about is how did the 43 airmen die? Did their planes crash?
AV6

Anonymous said...

It is truely amazing how these pilots did thisand thn some. These men were truely gentleman in my book.



COWBOYS RULE TS6